Friday, January 7, 2011

Cho-ket Cake

cake2


Happy Friday ;) The bf's nephew pronounces chocolate like Cho-ket. He's 3 and too cute for words but now I have to admit whenever I see the word chocolate I pronounce it as CHO-KET. Love u Is.

Anyways what better way to enjoy a Friday evening than with a moist chocolate cake? For being a baker I'm not big on cake. Ya, I said it.

I don't like cake.

Ok, ok let me rephrase that, I like tasting cake but I'm the wedding guest that takes a nibble of cake with a proportional amount of filling to frosting and that's it. I'm such a waste of $7.50 a slice the bride & groom pay, don't judge me. And it's not that I really don't like it, it's just that I bake it so much and enjoy watching others eat it :) Like my sister who says when she's been cooking all day she doesn't want to eat what she cooks. Weird, go figure.

With that in mind I've been receiving some constructive criticism from my family, since they're basically the ones who request/order anything for me to bake, and like a good baker I took their criticism to the kitchen. I give you my recipe for the best, if I can even be the judge of this, moist chocolate cake. joy The Baker titled it Devil's food cake but I don't like the name Devil's Food cake so I'm gonna call it: The Super Moist Chocolate Cake. Ok, that name isn't much better but we'll work on that later. Oh ya, remember that pecan filling I made from Pioneer Woman's chocolate sheet cake recipe? Well it's back and better than ever. I told you I was addicted to it. I think it compliments the cake very well.

The Super Moist Chocolate Cake

1 cup hot brewed coffee
3/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs

1) Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2) Whisk together coffee, cocoa, milk and vanilla.
3) In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.
4) Using a mixer cream together butter and both sugars. Add eggs 1 at a time, making sure each is well mixed before adding the next.
5) Alternate coffee mix and flour mix. Don't over mix!
6) Bake. 45mins for 2-9in pans then cool on racks.

Simple Syrup:
1 C granulated sugar
2 C water

7) Boil for 3 minutes; let cool.

Filling:
1/2 C chopped pecans
1 3/4 stick butter
4 T cocoa
6 T milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb powdered sugar

8) Chop pecans finely.
9) Melt butter in a saucepan.
10) Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Add the pecans, stir together.

Chocolate Buttercream:
1 stick unsalted butter
4 C powdered sugar
4 T cocoa
6-8 T milk, depending on consistency desired

11) Poke holes in cake, spread simple syrup over layers.
12) Fill with chocolate pecan filling, frost with chocolate buttercream.
13) Chill for 10mins in fridge for frosting to set.
14) Cut a slice, pour left over pecan filling over if you're as in love with it as I am.
15) Eat cake. Drink milk to wash down the richness.
16) Goto the gym so you won't feel guilty.

I didn't quite make it to step 16 but the bf came back from the gym right as I finished making the cake. I of course asked him to taste test and he says "NOOOOOO!! I just burned that all off!" ;) but tasted it anyway and gave me his typical "mmmmmmmmmMMmmmm that's goooood" comment which lead to a second ginormous bite.

I found my perfect chocolate cake recipe. Let's hope the family approves :)

cake


It's not the most attractive cake but none of my trial run cakes are. Still makes me wanna eat another slice... and that's saying a lot coming from me. Please enjoy the cake recipe. I promise if you don't like cake now it'll make you a Cho-ket cake lovah' in no time.

<3
Noey

1 comments:

Unknown said...

O-M-G!!! i was totally craving for this yesterday!! is there any left over for me?

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com